plasterboard to Aquapanel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having had to remove the plasterboard from behind my shower cubicle, i now intend to replace it with aquapanel. However, unsure how to prepare the existing wall that will eventually join on to my aquapanel. In the pics attached, you can see the rough edge of the wall, and the stud. Should i use a Stanley blade to trim the wall back to the centre of that stud marked with a red arrow to allow room to attach the aquapanel. If my thoughts are correct, should I be using Ames tape or equivilant to joint it?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would cut the plasterboard back to the centerline of nearest stud outside the shower enclosure, that way you can be sure it won’t be affected by moisture again. Never used Ames tape & not sure if it’s something that can be easily applied DIY, I use standard plasterboard reinforcing tape which I also use on Aquapanel. Tape & fill all board joints with flexible tile adhesive. All board edges must be fully supported so you may need additional, intermediate noggins. Stagger any board joints if possible & avoid tile grout lines coinciding with board joints. Use the correct adhesive for your size/type of tiles.

Has the existing plasterboard been plaster skimmed or it is just tape & fill dry wall?

Hi Thanks for the tips.

the original PB has never been skimmed, just painted! How do you make the tape seams invisible or cant you?

That’s why I asked if it’s been plastered. Taper edge plasterboard is used for “tape & fill” dry lining without plaster skim & the tape/hollow is covered with “Easyfill”, sanded down & blended in. To disguise the tape outside the taper, you can only use filler to blend it in, it will probably notice & won’t fair well in a damp environment such as a bath/shower room unless it’s sealed. IMO, tape & fill boarding has no place in a domestic environment & is not suitable for a bathroom, was the dry lining been done professionally or is it someone’s DIY effort?

Sponsored Links
Ive just finished cutting back the plastboard to the centre of that stud.

with your last comment in mind, what if i was to sand a recess down the entire edge of the board, then seal it; PVA mixture or similar?? essentially creating the tapered edge, and then applying teh tape and fill you mentioned.

thanks

I wouldn’t advise that, you will destroy the paper lining on the face of the PB, exposing the gypsum core which has virtually no strength without the paper linning.

Hi, Ye i will probably not bother. I did consider glueing back on an ames tape paper or simillar, but I think i will just fill between the two boards only .

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back