Insulation in timber frame stud wall that has a door in it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do the regulations :cry: allow a timber frame stud wall that has a door in it to be without insulation in the cavity between plasterboards. This is in a two bedroom house that is undergoing material alteration. Any reference to literature explaining loopholes to regulations would be appreciated. :)

Toomuchregulation said:
The Handifoam swift rise foam insulation can it be used to fill the cavity of a timber frame stud wall that has been plastered - ie can it be injected into the wall and will this comply with building regulations :cry: for insulation in a plastered stud wall timber frame - in a 2 bedroom flat with living room and kitchen and bathroom. Any references to literature to building regulations :cry: and handifoam use would be appreciated. :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is pretty well a duplicate post - I will move it into your other one - please read the forum rules - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448
esp. 1(a) and"General information" (g)

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
Stud wall? Is this an internal partition wall? Or an outside wall with the warm house on one side and the cold hard world on the other?

It's an internal wall? Then why do you want to insulate it?

Sponsored Links
Building Control have asked for insulation throughout my flat but I was wondering if my wall has a door do the regulations allow a timber frame stud wall that has a door in it to be without insulation in the cavity between plasterboards. This is in a two bedroom house that is undergoing material alteration.
The internal wall is up so I need information to stop building Control forcing me to rip out the wall and put in insulation. If there is a door in the wall does it say anywhere that insulation in the wall around a door would not be required for both soundproofing and fireproofing. Cheers

If you haven't plastered yet, ask the building control inspector who's overseeing your work...some are even human ;)
It's not that big a job to take off one side of plasterboard and refit at this stage if you have to and would be an advantage anyway (sound/heat, etc).

If you want to risk it, chances are he might never know, if he doesn't ask to see it specifically. But I can't see how, if they've asked for insulation throughout your flat, an internal wall would be exempt because it has a door in it, but maybe someone knows otherwise.

Still, each inspector will work their own way, so best to speak to yours, if they're already involved in the job.

My Building Inspector has it in for me nobody likes him in this Town - thanks for your answers I will ask another Building Control in another County to see if I get the easiest option from them - this inspector I have goes for the most expensive option every time - he loves his job. if anyone can help with regard to insulation matters in such a case that would be great. Thanks John and Noodlz for the interest time for bed I think if I can sleep. The wall has been plastered. All the best.

It's probably to meet requirements for soundproofing. You didn't mention what's gonna be on either side of this wall. If for example it divides a berdoom and bathroom then the walls need to meet a minimum rating for sound. After all, you don't want someone hearing your parps and gurgles when you're having a chat with messrs Armitage and Shanks.

12.5mm on 75mm stud is well below par without insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back