first job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to plaster my first wall yesterday in the hallway. Ive only ever done plasterboard before. My thoughts were that it was slightly more difficult to plaster walls than plasterboard.

Ive got a small vent for under for a small area under the stairs. There's a what looks to be a plaster of paris vent that I removed because it was in bad condition. Ive got a small hole in the wall and was considering just boarding the hole, taping and skimming over. I know the vents are there for a reason but it looks stupid when you walk in. Any thoughts. Or perhaps putting a new vent on.....

I'm quite happy with the result, looks flat and just sanded it down slightly...

Sponsored Links
the vent will be there for a reason so would think very carefully for before covering it up, suggest replacing it with something less offensive.

I was going to plaster the ceiling in my hall. Ive tried to get gloss paint off the ceiling before plastering and there is a powdery substance on the ceiling. The gloss didnt adhere properly in places.

Would I need to treat the ceiling before skimming

thanks

Are you asking about;

Plastering over gloss paint?
You can with the correct prep.

Plastering over the “powdery substance”?
You may be able to with the correct prep, depending on what it is & providing the plaster is not disintegrating underneath.

Over paint that is not adhering to the surface?
This will have to come before plastering

Sponsored Links
sounds like it could be distemper, if so i've successfully skimmed over distemper by using stabilex then wba before skimming, like you say Rich, gotta have the right prep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back