Painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have filled in a couple of small holes on one of my walls using no nonsense multi purpose filler and in another room i have fixed a large hole in my plasterboard with a new patch of plaster, scrim tape and jointing compound.

In the past when ive painted over new plaster it has flashed through and looked darker than the surrounding paint, whats the best option to prevent this? Put primer on the new patch prior to painting? If so what primer.

Sponsored Links
also ive noticed small air pockets in a lot of the joint compound, they were bubbled up/raised but now ive sanded its left lots of little tiny air craters in it??

Its not over the joint itself but towards the edges to the existing plaster?

Just refill with a bit more jointing compound and sand again, if the repair is definitely flat and with the rest of the wall and not itself slightly different to the rest, for example in texture, then more coats of paint should cover it. assuming the repair is perfectly dry

Just refill with a bit more jointing compound and sand again, if the repair is definitely flat and with the rest of the wall and not itself slightly different to the rest, for example in texture, then more coats of paint should cover it. assuming the repair is perfectly dry
Well it is flat and blended into the edges but its obviously raised slightly because of the joints

Sponsored Links
How do you actually get it as flat as the rest of the plasterboard? Given that theres skrim tapes over the joints and you need to hide that tape its always going to be more raised than the rest of the wall? And as a result surely it will always be noticeable, especially with silk paints?

How do you actually get it as flat as the rest of the plasterboard? Given that theres skrim tapes over the joints and you need to hide that tape its always going to be more raised than the rest of the wall? And as a result surely it will always be noticeable, especially with silk paints?
then you need to feather the jointing compound back into the board over a larger area and sand flat

then you need to feather the jointing compound back into the board over a larger area and sand flat
It is feathered in i.e. you cant see it go from the plasterboard to the joint compound but running your hand over the joints it does feel raised but doesent look it, will this always be the case and if i put primer over it then paint it should be ok as long as i use a matt paint?

The only way to tell if you have faded it sufficiently into the wall is to give it a couple of coats of paint, you can always go over it again with jointing compound if you need too. You would have a better chance of it not being noticed with matt rather than silk which is notorious for showing up imperfections, also it doesn't touch up very well.

Should i use primer over the whole area? Part of the new patch of plasterboard is exposed in the centre and the surface has been sanded a bit so dont know if it will absorb standard emulsions well?

shouldn't need priming, if you have scuffed the paper on the board then give it a thin skim of jointing compound and sand back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back