Plastering over lead painted walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've started to prepare a room for plastering, on removing the wallpaper we've found the original lead painted wall. The plasterer we had lined up has said he won't plaster over this as it will blister, a test patch proved this.

Is their any sealer or primer available that is designed to seal the lead prior to plastering?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've started to prepare a room for plastering,
on removing the wallpaper we've found the original lead painted wall.

I've never come across that type of paint on walls. I know that old distemper blisters when wet,, is this paint similar? Pardon my ignorance on this one. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

When I say lead paint, it's an old lead based paint. This was under a ton of old wallpaper and is various colours. The problems start pretty quickly after the plaster or bonding is put on, very quickly the finish begins to blister but small blisters.

The plasterer just told me it was lead paint and he won't go over it as it will do exactly what he showed me with a small section. The only help he gave me was to say he had heard there was a (german?) sealer which may be the solution but he can't give me any more details than that.

When you say the plaster blistered, did you mean the plaster itself blistered, or the paint blistered underneath the plaster, as happens with old distemper?

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
The plaster (and bonding in another area) blistered itself, like tiny balls of dust but are in fact blisters.

I'm personally baffled with this one Nat. What happens when you wet an area with a brush, or spray some water on it? Try it and see, and if possible show us a picture. If it does react to the water, then you might be able to scrape it off while it's damp, (with great care, mask, gloves etc), and that would get rid of the stuff altogether, rather than sealing it in. A lot of work maybe, but it might do it,,,, fingers crossed.

Roughcaster.

If it's like the lead based paints I've come across it's got a good chance of.blistering or spelling off the wall ..lead based paints generally dont give u a decent key (grip) on which multi finish or.bonding to use properly . Even scratching isnt a good idea as the lead dust is released into the room . U can burn off with a strong acid based solution.why not pull off and reboard. Better finish anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back