Skrim and a patch job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need some advice on how to join new plasterboard to existing plastered plasterboard. I have had to remove a 1000x300mm of plastered plasterboard which was dot and dabbed to wall and now I want to make good.

My plan is to fix a new piece of plasterboard in the hole using dot and dab, run skrim tape over the joins and then trying to skim it but I am worried that I will end up with a bump where it transitions from existing plaster to the new plaster if I simply stick the skrim onto the existing plaster. Should I be sanding the existing plaster or is it not an issue?

Hope that is clear and thanks for reading.

Pat.

Sponsored Links
Sand or scrape the plaster skim on the boards around the hole about 30mm or so, then scrim onto the boards not on top of the plaster.

It depends on the total wall area, as you have options.
You could fit patch board level to existing wall, tape joint, prep total wall area and over skim the whole wall or you could fit patch board recessed by about 3mm to existing wall, then rack out about a 50mm section of existing wall around perimeter of patch, down to flush level with plasterboard, tape joint and plaster patch board and blend into existing wall.
There would also be a tape joint and jointing compound method around this, but the area is best plastered.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back