First major install job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to embark on my first major install, a back boiler on a fully pumped ov system out and a spanking new Vaillant 937 storage combi in... Any pointers you lads can give me? I am an ex BG tech (with 10 yrs exp.) but with not much install experience. Hoping this will be the first of many to come.....

Sponsored Links
• Power flush system
• Drain and remove BBU
• Remove primary flow
• Cut back and cap primary return
• Drain & decommission header and cold water tanks
• Remove all valves, switchgear, pump etc
• Remove cold feed and open vent from boiler side
• Convert domestic cold supply to main
• Install hefty gas supply to 937
• Connect primaries to heating side
• Hook up hot and cold systems
• Install condensate and PRV pipe work
• Install whatever interlock you fancy
• Provide protection for the secondary heat exchanger
• Do whatever further flushing you feel necessary
• Start it up and go outside for a coffee for at least 10 minutes
• Further flushing etc
• Add inhibitor
• Calculate the gas rates etc
• Allow 2 hours to pack all your gear up
• Demo to customer
• Paper work

And home for tea just 3 days later.

P.S. Forgot to mention, allow at least 30 minutes head scratching time when trying to follow the instructions on how to connect the storage side to the combi side. Give yourself a pat on the back if you get it right first time and have no washers left over.

P.P.S. I've got the same job except with 5 new rads starting Wednesday. Luckily, I have to install my 937 in the loft, I'm expecting to be a shadow of my former self when I finish.

That about sums it up, only estimating 3 days is a touch optimistic. I could do it in 5 days on my own, with my apprentices on the job 5 days plus two further days of me on my own and a bill for carpet cleaning, and a load of wasted time discussing vagueries of 17 year olds with customer (to try and mitigate all the damage he's done.

Quite honestly when you have plenty of work in the bag these are the estimates you never submit. Customer sees them as a simple boiler swap and usually tell you as much. In reality whole house has to be turned upside down. It's easier to do a full install on a house that never had heating.

Sponsored Links
thanks all, thinking I may have bitten off more than I can chew now but it's priced right and, well, thinking back to how my dad taught me to swim.........

penpusher said:
thanks all, thinking I may have bitten off more than I can chew now but it's priced right and, well, thinking back to how my dad taught me to swim.........

What have you priced it at?

Paul Barker said:
That about sums it up, only estimating 3 days is a touch optimistic. I could do it in 5 days on my own, with my apprentices on the job 5 days plus two further days of me on my own and a bill for carpet cleaning, and a load of wasted time discussing vagueries of 17 year olds with customer (to try and mitigate all the damage he's done.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's OK then, it's usually more work than a full central heating where there has never been one, depends on how easily boiler location gas meter location and pipewrk can be blended.

it's all under the floor but reasonable access, boiler going in utility room. Have got a helping hand on this one so was hoping to have it done in 2 1/2 long(ish) days

3K sounds good to me we charge about £500 less for 831 ecotec regarding distance charge more if moving boiler any distance from original as pipes don't come cheap anymore

good luck :LOL:

Price sounds low, but I have no idea where Clackmannshire is, so good luck to you.

After all is said and done, it's just a combi conversion, albeit with a v. v. expensive bit of kit.

Call it 4 days then!

EliteHeat said:
P.P.S. I've got the same job except with 5 new rads starting Wednesday. Luckily, I have to install my 937 in the loft, I'm expecting to be a shadow of my former self when I finish.

With me in the loft in this heat I would have a better flow rate than the 937 :oops: :LOL:

I think 3 days is about right possibly going to 3 1/2 if snags, like getting the new 28mm gas pipe to it.

I always expect to do this type of job in this time working on my own. Don't think the price is far out either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back