First Post - newbie question? Multiroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I've got Sky cabled to three bedrooms all using a magic eye each to control the digibox in the lounge. This means that whatever is on the lounge tv is also on the other 3.

I'm thinking of getting 1 multiroom sub and cabling that to two of the four tvs and using the existing Sky sub to the other two. The second 'multiroom' digi box will sit in the lounge with the first 'original' digibox.

Question is -
Is it feasable / possible / practical to cable both Sky boxes to each tv and use a co-ax. switch to 'switch' between feeds so that I can have 'original sky' AND 'multiroom sky' in all rooms.
What are the implications for the 'magic eye' bits.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'm not aware of a co-ax switch available for this sort of use, and it would be stupid anyway. Combine the RF outputs of both set top boxes together, and set the RF modulators to different channels. Tune all sets in so that they can receive the RF output from either box, each on its own channel.

Your only problem may be the use of multiple Magic Eyes, because unless there is some way to program one sky remote to work with a particular box, you're going to end up controlling both of them at the same time.

A less attractive option may be to only use the Magic Eye system with the additional receiver. Keep your primary receiver in the living room, with no magic eye. That way, you can also be assured that someone in the bedroom wont (annoyingly) try and change channel while you're watching in the lounge.

There is a way to operate two Sky boxes with eyes independently over the same RF network. That's exactly what you want. You wouldn't need manual switches or anything messy.

The thing is though the gear costs around £120'ish that can combine the RF outputs yet keep the IR control signals separate. Is that feasible for you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back