First post - Strip and relay roof advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and it won't be the last as I just bought my first house last Friday. The property is a bungalow built in the 1970's, stone built. The lady that used to live here built it with her husband who passed away recently and it seems she had no money for improvments at all!

Since moving in I have ripped of most of the ceilings to add new plasterboard, took out a wall between kitchen and dining room, stripped flooring and had new fascias fitted etc.

When I stripped the ceilings and old fitted wardrobes in one of the bedrooms I noticed water marks on one of the walls. Looking up to the roof I can see that the felt has peeled and can see some daylight in places. The lady has just stuffed some carrier bags to stop the water!! I have checked out the wall and the top of the plaster fell straight off but the rest seems to be ok. I have had a dehumidifier in the roof for last 2 days, I was going to paint it with anti fungus paint before we replaster. Anything else I should do?

Next to the roof.
I'm no roofer but I have looked at a few videos on YouTube and as it's a bungalow I was thinking about stripping on the old tiles, laying new felt and battens using the old ones as a guide and then clean and relay the tiles.

I wanted to get a little advice on what tools I may need and what I should use to relay the ridges, some videos show cement and some show pre mixed flexible "stuff". As you may guess I haven't got a good knowledge on roofing with the names but I'm good at things like this so guess I will be fine. :LOL:

So if anyone can help with:
What felt to buy, tools needed, what to fix ridges down with,
Roof has no gables but how should I felt corners?

Really appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Ok, so turns out the "corner" I referred to is a lead flashing ha. How do I go about put the roof underlay down with this in place. Does it simply come off when tiles are removed or will I have to cut the underlay to fit?

I was going to buy A1 Protect underlay from screw fix, will this be ok with new building regs? I intend to lay new insulation once all of the leaks are fixed!

I'm planning to do this on Sunday if someone wouldn't mind giving me some help!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back