First Project - Garden bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I am in the process of designing (and then building) a bar in my back garden and I have never attempted anything like this before so I though I would seek some advice before I part with any cash.

rwlv32e.png

rwlv32e

I am planning on using C16 50x100 Treated timber for the uprights and ungraded 50x50 treated timber for the rest of the carcass with 11mm OSB with a 1 degree slope (cutting some firrings short) for the lid. I have some epdm or butyl pond liner that I plan on adhering to the exposed face of the OSB. I am planning on using 19x150mm gravel boards along the bottom and along the top as well as for the counter top, but I'll give it the once over with my cheap electric plane first.

EDIT:
Forgot measurements.. it's 1300x1200 and 1900mm high

So, the questions..

Do I need to use thicker/square uprights?
Do I need to use C16 timber? Or am I wasting money?
What should I be doing differently?

The tools I have at my disposal are a circular saw, a mitre saw with a 70mmx210mm max cutting capacity and a drill (which doubles as a screwdriver) and a hammer.. I am terrible with a manual saw, I don't even own one...

All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not studied the details too much as I am on my way to bed but I would increase your height to around 2200 to make sure you have a decent headroom for any tall people that may take over bar duties at a gathering.
Will have another look tomorrow if I get chance.

Hey Conny, Thanks for the reply. We've got limited headroom because of an awning that projects over where the bar will be situated so I can't really make it any taller. Which is a shame. Luckiliy the frequent users of the bar are all short :)

I have realised the I need a little overhang on the roof at the rear to encourage rain run-off to not just run down the wall at the back so I'll bring the rear wall in a bit to allow for the 'cladding' that I am salvaging from pallets, or I'll fit a guttter... undecided

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I would be considering using 75mm x 75mm fence posts for the uprights.
Not for the strength, but because they are treated and so will last longer.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/G...VluvtCh0_SQpkEAAYASAAEgIL4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

There is also no diagonal bracing.
Might not be an issue - but I think you will get a lot of top wobble that will pull your screws out.
Consider 3 flat planks on a diagonal on each internal wall from shelf to near ground (can be fitted at end if wobble is an issue).

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back