first skimming attempt soon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Will be trying out some skimming soon on my kitchen walls and possibly ceiling IF everything goes ok...
The walls i will be doing are plasterboard sheets on wooden stud partitions.
i had to spend alot of time scraping of the old wallpaper (woodchip :evil: ) which has left me with painted plasterboard, a bit flaky in places but will remove all flakes etc.
also had to fill some fairly dodgy old holes in the plasterboard.

from what i have been reading on this site i seem to need to do the following:
PVC the walls, plaster 2 x 2mm layers of multi finish, then diluted matt emulsion to seal before i put on the finishing coat of paint..

a few questions i have are:

How many coats of PVC, and what mixtures to use on each coat?
The PVC i got is in a 5ltr plastic tub, it says dilute 5:1 on it, but is that enough?

I only want to skim about 5 meter square at a time as its my first attempt , the plaster i have is thistle multi finish in 25kg bags.
roughly how much water should i use for half a bag, i wouldnt mind wasting it too much as its cheap (trial and error) but i live 60 miles from nearest big diy shops, so can be a pain.?

also theres a new bit of wall that has a little bit of taping and jointing done with jointing plaster, can i just pva over that as i would be doing with the old painted areas?

any other tips are most welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back