First time electrics, full rewire!

Sponsored Links
Firstly, "Good Luck" - in all your endeavours.

While others may have "picked some holes" in your plan, I think that both you and your partner may find the "Kitchen Lighting" which you have proposed to be quite inadequate.

While you may intend to install "under cupboard" lighting and a "range hood" with lighting, individually switched ceiling lighting for the preparation bench space, cooking area and "sink" would be preferable to just one general central light (plus, a "light over the sink".)

Hence, I consider that you (and your partner) may appreciate more "specific" lighting in the kitchen area.
If that is not possible, make sure that the "Central" kitchen light is a large "Panel LED", since you cannot possibly consider a single "down-light" in a kitchen.

Also, you have made no mention of socket-outlets (?)

With which I fully agree.
I have found that "Mother & Child" standard lamps [with a switchable "reading lamp" - when required] are a good idea.

Dimmable, I presume.

(As I wrote above - Good Luck !)

Yeah i think we will revisit the kitchen lighting, I think still 1 main light but put extra spot lights as you said in the key areas. we will also be having under cupboard strip lights.

Sockets aren't done yet, wanting to do 1 circuit at a time so i can learn and get my head around the regs and everything. I'll be doing 1 master plan with CH, DHW, Gas, Water Supply, Power, Lighting & Network/AV that ill then upload after i'm happy with it

Don't forget the cabling for telephones/broadband and network points throughout the house. Its much, much easier to install CW1308 and CAT5e/6 when all the floors are up rather than later!

Sponsored Links
Yeah i think we will revisit the kitchen lighting, I think still 1 main light but put extra spot lights as you said in the key areas. we will also be having under cupboard strip lights.

Don't forget, the better position for lights, is usually either directly over where you are working, or behind and at either side so as to avoid shadows where you are working, with some diffusion. The worst possible, is a light coming from directly behind you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back