First time with a router - mdf advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I hope this an easy one for you. I'm intending to build up an architrave around a few windows at home. It will be made up of 2 layers to closely match what is already in place in the rest of the house.

I'm buying an off the shelf architrave (MDF) which is about 95mm wide. This will sit on a backing piece ( again MDF ) which is about 12cm wide and 9mm thick. Something like this.

Once it's all painted up the idea is it will look like a 12 cm wide architrave.

The challenge I have routing that detail on the edge of the backing piece. I would want to create something like a a 'Rounding Over Ovolo' which I think would be made with one of these.

http://www.discount-tools-uk.co.uk/product/346588/46-and-12-x-1-and-4-tct-rounding-over-ovolo-cutter

( checkout the price ! ).

I have never used a router before so I'm unsure about which cutter to use. I would ideally like to create the detail with one pass of the router.

So what do you think ? Easy to do or does MDF just fall to bits if you route such a thin material.

Other options include getting the architrave made up by a company but I'm trying to keep costs down.

Thanks again

Jeff

Sponsored Links
ok mis read what your doing you cant use the cutter you want with a router as the bearing must run on the edge
you can off couse screw 2 bits back to back and router the diagonally opposite edges
you could also use bull nose skirting

Hi bigall

Thanks for getting back.

I'm only considering making the back section which is
120mm x 9mm or 12mm mdf. Length will be 2400mm. Checkout the first picture

I must be missing something but I thought that is exactly what I would
Be doing with the cutter ie running the bearing along the 9mm edge along the length of the piece.

Bit like this dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot6pfnDabAQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

.... I am clueless on the router front.

J

Sponsored Links
ok mis read what your doing you cant use the cutter you want with a router as the bearing must run on the edge
you can off couse screw 2 bits back to back and router the diagonally opposite edges
you could also use bull nose skirting

Click ! Got you now. Yes cutter is 12.7 mm high so bearing
Would be off the work. Nice idea about back-to-back.

Any other cutters I should be looking at? Quite a few v cheap ones
By silverline ie amazon/ eBay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back