FISH POND AND WATER SUPPLY!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound like a daft question, but can you have a fish pond outside without pumps etc?

If so, how would you clean it out?

I have moved into a rented property and the garden is an overgrown mess, we have cut back the overgrowth and discovered a purpose-built fish pond which goes around the edge of the garden, it has all the pumps/lighting etc, but they are not working and we don't want to fiddle with them as it's a rented property.

Also, we have an outside tap but no water comes out of it, could there possibly be a separate stop cock for this? There is a black plastic cylinder type thing next to the tap, any ideas?!

Thanks very much! :D

Sponsored Links
If you have a pond filled with water without cirulation (ie pumps) then it will go stagnent over a short period of time (especially in summer), so you need some circulation.

You can get a solar fountain - have a look at //www.diynot.com/athome/ponds.php .

Also if you put quite a few water plants in the pond eg water lilies etc, I believe this helps keep the water from stagnating.

Is the black plastic cylinder thing connected to the tap, or pond? can you explain any more about the tap. You could always look inside where the tap comes through the wall and try to trace it back to see is there is a stop cock, it should be somewhere relatively accessible.

Thanks very much for that, I've had a look at the fountains and I think that's going to be my best bet! I never thought of anything like that so thanks!

As for the stop cock, I'll have to have another look at it to see what it's connected to etc, but it is right next to the tap (the tap is mounted on the side of the house).

Cheers!
:D

it is not strictly true that a pond will go stagnent if it has no cirulation, if it just a pool of water then yes it will, if it has lots of plants and fish it builds its own "eco system" and stays clear providing the balance is right.

As for solar pumps i found this

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that, I think I'll go for one of these solar fountains, and get plenty of plants and fish for the pond!

Much appreciated! :D

Hi clare, I agree with the other posts, that if you put in loads of oxyginating plants then a pump may not be necessary at all. Have a trip to an aquatic centre and ask their advise as the plants can be quite cheap. You may need to start afresh with new water, then add the plants then the fish a few weeks later. I have learnt from my pond that you really do need alot of plants!

I will go and see about some plants and things too, thanks for that! The garden was a complete mess when I moved in, the pond needs a right good scrub and sort-out!

Hopefully I will have it all up and running soon!

Cheers everyone! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back