fist question about a newb shed build . .the base . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi huys, I am going to build my very own shed, from scratch and have an idea about the base but would like some thoughts on how exactly to go about it . .

I was thinking of putting down sand then placing 400 x 400 x 28mm slabs down with a gap of approximately 100mm between a total of 24 slabs to give an area of 4000 x 1400mm for my shed floor to go on. I would then use pressure treated timber to create a floor to stand on the slabs then ply or chipboard for the floor. How does this sound to you guys?

If ok, how thick does the sand need to be? I am on top of an old flower bed so a layer of soil before clay so should i do anything to the ground first??

Also, do I need to think about membranes?

Thanks for now.

Tony.

Sponsored Links
A concrete base would be a lot easier,probably cheaper as well. 100mm concrete on 100mm compacted mot type1. You could put a sheet of a193 welded mesh in your concrete for strength then build your shed straight on top. Use membrane if you want, 1200g would do it.

As above. slab of concrete, sheet of plastic underneath the concrete to stop/reduce the damp and away you go.

Congratulations on the shed by the way ................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back