Fit a thermostat to a water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has any one any idea how i can fit a thermostat to a tank. I need to requlate the temperature of the water to approx 60 deg. there is an element in the tank already. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Has any one any idea how i can fit a thermostat to a tank. I need to requlate the temperature of the water to approx 60 deg. there is an element in the tank already. :confused:

I,m no expert but isn't there an adjuster screw on the element?

:)

is this a direct or indirect cylinder is this an immersion thermostsat or cylincer thermostat we need a few more details my friend

Its just an open top tank with the element in the bottom. Like a big kettle i suppose you could say. There is no adjustment on the element.

Sponsored Links
Its just an open top tank with the element in the bottom. Like a big kettle i suppose you could say. There is no adjustment on the element.

How does it turn off then? or does it boil like an actual kettle?

Just turns off on switch, i suppose it would boil if i left it on, i just switch it off at the moment when its hot enough, but its a pain because i need to try and maintain the temperature.

the element will have a rod thermostat but it would suggest that maybe its faulty buy a replacement of the correct size and with a thermal cut out

Your tank, I guess, is not a regular domestic hot water cylinder, but just a tank for hot water. If so, I recommend you get a thermostat that fits on the outside wall of the tank, directly against the metal wall. These are available at most plumbers' suppliers. The thermostat will normally come with a belt that wraps around a cylinder and keeps the stat in place. This might work on your tank, or not, depending on the shape of the tank. The stat must be firmly fixed in place to enable maximum sensitivity.

Due to the unusual nature of your tank, the graduations on the thermostat might not be accurate enough for your needs. So, get an accurate thermometer and use it make your own scale on the stat.

Hope this helps

KN

If so, I recommend you get a thermostat that fits on the outside wall of the tank, directly against the metal wall. These are available at most plumbers' suppliers. The thermostat will normally come with a belt that wraps around a cylinder and keeps the stat in place.
If the water is heated by an immersion element this type of thermostat is not suitable as the current taken by the immersion is greater than the switch can carry.

Can you post a picture of the tank and connecting pipework?

As D.Hailsham says, A Strap on cylinder Stat will only handle approx 5 amps, it is likely that the heating element in your "vessel" (a bit more info about this and its purpose would be very helpfull) is rated in excess of this so you would have to consider fitting a Contactor to handle the Heater current, with the strap-on stat feeding the Contactor Coil. ;)

thanks for all help guys. I have decided to take the element out and replace it with one that has a thermostat fitted. That seems to be the easiest and cheepest option to me :D

An even bigger money saver would be to lag the tank and lid(?) if it isn't already done. The heat loss from an open topped tank must be costing you a bomb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back