Fit Hive 2 to my Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837 - please help!

20151222_120255.jpg

All sitting in the workshop waiting for the new year.

No chance I'm fitting this lot before Christmas. Hive and Nest are pants.

Sponsored Links
If u stick one wire in wrong mate u are very likely to blow that pcb they are good but notorious for failing if wired wrong, then trust me there will be no hot water or heating or manual control .. I can tell I'm not goin to convince you. Please don't think your the first, as Dan Dean etc have said , there are hundreds of us engineers out there an we all have at least a couple like you that will have a cold Xmas with an angry spouse. It happens every year, an this is not a dig at you.

Ha, I may just wait until after Christmas - though it's so warm that the heating is hardly on, and one of our showers is electric so it's wouldn't be that bad if the boiler wouldn't work for a day or so (for me anyway, the wife may think differently). I'm pretty sure how to wire it now but I could screw up, or something may not work and I wouldn't be able to replace parts etc. Maybe a job for next week or the week after.

It's funny you guys all prefer this Evohome thing. The Which score is 57% which is the lowest it gave any of them. I got the Hive 2, brand new, for about £130 and it's very pretty!

Alot of people don't rate Hive just because it's made by BG but it's actually really good, easy and reliable

Sponsored Links
Right, I had a go yesterday and it all seems to work. Thanks to all that provided help.

For what it's worth, the only tricky parts were:
  • getting the cable from the top of the boiler to the connections inside the boiler (it's all boxed off at the top in my case). I had to strip the wire and tie knots in the inside wires. The Vaillant channel for cabling was only just big enough so I had to yank reasonably hard to feed it through,
  • fitting the wires where two had to go in the same place - very fiddly with not much flex for the existing cable.
Anyway, it all seems to work well and I'm impressed with Hive 2 so far.

Right, I had a go yesterday and it all seems to work. Thanks to all that provided help.

For what it's worth, the only tricky parts were:
  • getting the cable from the top of the boiler to the connections inside the boiler (it's all boxed off at the top in my case). I had to strip the wire and tie knots in the inside wires. The Vaillant channel for cabling was only just big enough so I had to yank reasonably hard to feed it through,
  • fitting the wires where two had to go in the same place - very fiddly with not much flex for the existing cable.
Anyway, it all seems to work well and I'm impressed with Hive 2 so far.
How do I connect my hive to my ecotec837 ?? I have the L & N sorted I think, what about the others ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 581
You have a Hive 2 and Ecotec Plus 837? That picture didn't look familiar, but it may be a different angle that make it look different to the wiring inside my boiler. Anyway, I may have photos I took of how I set it up and could probably post those but I'm no expert.

You have a Hive 2 and Ecotec Plus 837? That picture didn't look familiar, but it may be a different angle that make it look different to the wiring inside my boiler. Anyway, I may have photos I took of how I set it up and could probably post those but I'm no expert.
I believe the wiring changed on the year I bought my one .... About 3 years ago just wondering where the other wired connect to

I think the wiring connections are mentioned in the first post. When I did it I had to have two wires in some parts of the boiler (the L and N I think), as they were already there (I assume from the control panel). There are two other wires that go into parts that weren't used before (it may be 3 if you have water heating, I don't know).

One tricky thing was replacing the old wire with the new. I guess if you already have 4 core wire you may not need to but I had two core wire. The only way to do it, the way my boiler is installed anyway, was to tie the new wire to the old one and feed it through the plastic channel on the left hand side of the boiler where the wires are kept out of the way.

You see this is why BG charge extra for installation
All we seem to be seeing now is hive and nest related threads asking how to fit them.

Anyways, Plug the hub into your router first as it will likely want to update.
Then disconnect the ebus wires to the vrt.
Then Use a 4 core wire, 5 core if you fancy having an earth although not nessesary, to feed the hive receiver. Remove the link from 3-4 on boiler and wire the receiver common to 3 and the call to 4, live to live neutral to neutral.

Power up and press the button on the receiver to check it works.
Hopefully the hub is still flashing green if not power it down and back on again.

Then stick some batteries in the thermostat and it should all connect up. Lastly stick the thermostat backplate on the wall and attach the stat. Check it works then log onto your hive account and set it up.
Hi can you possibly tell me which ports I use on my 837 eco tech plus ?? I have the new version with RT and Burner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back