Fit or Tile First

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refurbing the family bathroom and I'm ready to either fit the components (bath, basin and loo) or tile (floor and walls). Which should I do first, tile the floor and then fit the basin and loo or the other way around?

Sponsored Links
Easier to tile first.

Otherwise you will have to cut round the basin and loo. It will look better as well.

Fit first, pipe and plumb, remove and tile.

Sometimes it's easier to fit bath or and shower and tile round.

Sponsored Links
Always fit the bath & shower & then tile down to them. Fit basin/loo/bidet temporarily using service valves & flexies which will then allow easy removal to tile under them & then finally fit; never cut tiles around them, it’ll look totally naff.

Installing sanitary ware & plumbing is relatively straight forward but before you do anything or buy any materials I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. There are many things to catch you out particularly with the tile base, tile weights & if you intend tiling a suspended timber floor. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back