Best positioning of wall tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom is 2020 wide and 1650 down the bath wall. I'm planning on using 600 x 600 tiles without spacers / grout lines.

Along the bath length I'll position to have equal width part-tiles at each end of 225mm, which should look best.

Across the room width, with bath-end then basin and then loo I'm in a quandary as to the best placing.

I'm thinking:
The wall width dimension gives me 3x whole tiles and 110mm at each wall corner.
With the bath being 700 wide, I simply place the first full tile 10mm out from the bath edge to fit the above positioning and then match the same part-tile at the other far corner. My concern is the 10mm strip running down the edge of the bath, widening presumably to 100mm to tuck in behind the bath panel.

Should I instead align the first full tile with the bath edge, giving me 100mm in the bath corner and the wider, 120mm in the far corner? Or will this look odd?

Which is correct / preferable?

The other consideration is the basin sitting on this same wall (which as it happens, sits pretty much facing the door). Presumably I'd ideally be wanting to have a full tile as a splash-back or at least centralise the join? Or does it not really matter, not having any visible joints?

Any of you professional / more experienced tilers fancy offering a bit of advice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No grout lines? are you aware many tiles are not made with exactly the same dimensions? have you checked yours.
With a basin, I would be looking to remove and reposition to suit my new tiles where possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back