Bathroom tiling pattern question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Going to start the bathroom tiling next week, and looking for input on the pattern tiles would be best laid. Bath is standard length 1700mm. Tiles are large, oblong ones. Wife wants me to make a brickwork pattern with them. Above the bath, and shower end of the bath it will be tiled up to the ceiling.

If I start one end of the bath, then that end will be a neat brickwork pattern, but the far end will be a bit ragged as the last tile is only going to be about three quarters of the width. I'm wondering if it would look better to start from the middle of the bath, and have equally ragged ends both ends?

Also, the end where the shower will be is going to be 1 and 3/4 tiles wide. Would it be better to start from the outside edge and have the ragged end in the corner here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
david - is the bath the same length as the wall (in other words is there a return wall at each end)? If so, start in the centre of the bath and work outwards, ditto each subsequent course. Obviously, the centre of each course will align with ... 1st = tile centre, 2nd = grout line, 3rd = tile centre, and so on up the wall. Mark-out the lines on the wall and ensure any cuts are in the corners. The short shower wall again work towards the corner; yes you will have a cut tile on every other row but the cut could sit in an edging strip to finish off neatly. IMO nasty plakka strips look naff, think about chrome if you've got chrome fittings & accessories in the bathroom.

Finally, seal the vertical corner with silicone, don't rely on grout in that position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back