Fit skirting before fitting carpet or after?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

I know there is already a thread on this but the question still wasn't clearly answered. Some people insisted fit skirting first, others insisted after. I ask because I had someone come round to quote fitting underfloor heating and he said fitting skirting afterwards would give a much nicer finish to the look of the carpet / skirting.

But surely expert carpet fitters can give a good look even if skirting is down already? Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

because the carpet fitter needs the skirting to fix up against

all skirting untill recent years was fitted tight to the flooring any gaps where caused by shrinkage [untill the advent of floating floors]

the sole purpose of skirting is to fill the gap between wall and the floor skirting also protects the bottom of the wall from bangs

if you are refurbishing a room and you have a gap you should either drop and scribe the skirting or fill the gap

What a stupid idea putting skirting on top of the carpet. What happens when you want to change the carpet, take all the skirting off again??? :rolleyes:

skirting always first. It should be scribed to the shape of the subfloor and then a silcon sealent applied to the base of the skirting ( for the new vacum, pressure test ) Clean off any excess silcon that weeps out of the bottom of the skirt.

they pump air into the house or suck it out and see how much leaks over a set time period. At the moment builders are plastering everything with silicone to get better results. The problem is that they silicon everything after it has beeen fitted instead of doing it while fitting.

So how do I 'scribe' the skirting to the shape of the floor? If it's more or less even do i still need to scribe it? And you're about skirting first and not last?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back