Lay carpet before or after fitting skirting boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be a daft question and I'm probably missing something obvious here but would it be ok to lay may new carpet then have the skirting boards fitted afterwards or would this cause problems?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How are you going to fix them to the wall?

The only problem I can imagine is risk of damage to the carpet from whatever process you use.

IMO, fitted carpets which run under skirting look so much better than ones which butt up against them, and if they are painted then it's so easy to slide a piece of card under them to protect the carpet.

Thanks ban-all-Sheds

How are you going to fix them to the wall?

Counter sunk screws & wall plugs

IMO, fitted carpets which run under skirting look so much better than ones which butt up against them, and if they are painted then it's so easy to slide a piece of card under them to protect the carpet.

I agree, I would always want my carpet to run under the skirting. This is why I thought I could fit the skirting board on top of the edge of the carpet and get a nice finish. I think we're going for plain wood look so can put stain / treatment on the skirting before it's fitted.

Further to this and to steal a thread thats not been replied to for a few days... I'm currently trying to choose a carpet for bedroom landing and stairs. I was going to skirting board before carpeting but this sounds better carpetting before hand. Presumably this gives a 'less accurate cut' required around the edges? Would u still uses grippers? Was going to no nails skirts in place and gloss afterwards (with card protecting carpet as someone has suggestted)

Sponsored Links
I too would like to know the answer to this cos am in the same situation.

The problems I can foresee are that if grippers are used, carpet put down then skirting attached, how are you supposed to get the carpet out and replace it without pulling the skirting off?

Also the combined height of underlay, grippers, carpet will make the skirting 15 to 20mm higher on the wall. Will this look odd?

There seems to be quite a few of us about to lay carpets & fix skirting boards.

I would go along with your thought danlightbulb, that if you fit the skirting after, you sandwich the carpet in between the skirting & the gripper, and this will either mean removing skirtings (not a practical option without damaging something, or cutting the carpet.) OR position the gripper inside the line of the skirting boards.

I would say fit the skirtings, and spend out getting a decent fitter to fit the carpet! Should look just as good I hope (fingers x'd!!!!)

a carpet is held taught by the gripper.

the tuft of carpet remaining is tucked away by friction pressure between the deliberate gap left between the gripper and the skirting.

FIT SKIRTING FIRST. :rolleyes:

a carpet is held taught by the gripper.

the tuft of carpet remaining is tucked away by friction pressure between the deliberate gap left between the gripper and the skirting.

FIT SKIRTING FIRST. :rolleyes:

Agree with you 100%
Only time you may fit skirting after floor is when you are laying a wood or laminate surface.

I too would like to know the answer to this cos am in the same situation.

The problems I can foresee are that if grippers are used, carpet put down then skirting attached, how are you supposed to get the carpet out and replace it without pulling the skirting off?

Also the combined height of underlay, grippers, carpet will make the skirting 15 to 20mm higher on the wall. Will this look odd?

So happy to see that I'm not the only one asking this question. In regards to Danlightbulb's comment and I know it will vary depending on the carpet and underlay thickness - but is it acceptable to fix the skirting 15 to 20mm off the floor?

I'd take care on how you do this.

On a g/f which is suspended with good venting under via air bricks there's a very good chance that increasing the gap between flooring and skirt will allow dust and air to travel up from the sub floor.

This will stain any carpet after a period.

Fit skirting 1st, keep gap between floor base and skirt to a minimum by doing the normal thing- By that I mean the underlay stops before the gripper, the gripper is 25mm away from skirt edge and so if you must have carpet under the skirt edge, it is ONLY the carpet thickness (compressed 5-9mm for most) that the skirt to floor gap has to accomodate.

I have fitted skirting using screws before & recently using nails & a nail punch.

I have to say that using nails (into wooden pegs hammered into the wall) looks a damn site better as there is a much smaller area to fill before over painting.

What about painting before fitting?
What do you folks suggest?

I have stained & varnished before fitting which was fine, but I found that painting before hand means leaving for several days as the paint is still soft or several days & easily gets mucked up - requiring repainting.

I see that this is an 18 month old post revived, But I cant imagine anyone puting skirting boards on top of carpet. What happens when you want to change the carpet as the younger generation do more frequently than oldies? Do you rip off the skirt damaging the paint & wallpaper!!
JonB
:confused: :confused:

I can't believe anyone would put skirting board on top on carpet!!!

Skirting is almost permanent, carpet needs replacing every few years. If you put...

It's wrong in soooo many ways.

What about painting before fitting?
What do you folks suggest?

I have stained & varnished before fitting which was fine, but I found that painting before hand means leaving for several days as the paint is still soft or several days & easily gets mucked up - requiring repainting.
A lot will depend on the decorator you have but many prefer to at least prime and undercoat first, if nothing else it's easier on their knees :D
If you have the time then paint before hand every time, easier and quicker in the long run, and use easyfil (the stuff sold in 10kg bags for tapered edged plasterboards) for the holes , doesn't shrink and sands with ease.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back