fitted 2" hearth, now fireplace hole too small. what to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbing an 1920's house. I intend to fit an inset gas flame fire into a fireplace where an older style gloworm fire was.

I have fitted a new hearth but now the opening is only 51cm high so i have angle grinded 5cm off the granite back board to enlarge the opening but there appears a large brick (chair brick?) which angles the flue above the opening. This is inside the chimney and not part of the original load bearing construction.

Can I hack another 5cm off this as well or do i need to reconstruct

my.php
[/URL][/img]

my.php
[/URL][/img]

Sponsored Links
after further research i am guessing chairbricks are just for coal fires to aid drawing the air and are unneccessary when fitting an inset fire. would that be correct?

really needs to be done by gasfitter as you`ll find out if you re-post in Plumbing...those live flame gas are dodgy in my non-Corgi opinion :eek:

Sponsored Links
well has long as it does not effect the structual integrity, and as far as im awear a gas fire would require a flue so woudnt see the need to keep it for that puprous either so i would say yes..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back