Fitted kitchen hob replacement nightmare...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently dropped something onto our ceramic hob, it's cracked and we've bought a replacement, at first we stupidly thought it would be a case of lifting the old one out, wiring a few bits in and lowering the new one into the gap. We failed to realise that the thing has been bolted in from underneath.

Unfortunately being a new build fitted kitchen there is an oven below, a cuboard to the right and a washing machine on the left, and it all looks incredibly hard to get anything out of their without knowing what we were doing. Who could we contact to do this for us? And what sort of money are we looking at? Or is their a much easier way of doing things that we haven't noticed....any help would be greatly appreciated - I've got to do christmas dinner on the thing very soon.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Generally, the oven has four screws to secure it just on the edge when you pull the door down. Remove them and the oven will slide out.

You can then get at the fixings for the hob.

Not a big job, you should be able to get it sorted quite cheaply from someone local. £35?

Firstly disconnect the power to the oven by removing the appropriate fuse usually, it's the 30amp one, if you are not sure turn off all the power at the mains
The oven is held in place by about 4 screws on both sides of the front edge behind the door
It then will be easy to slide out, but be careful as there is a wire at the back which will be fitted to the cooker control unit.
If there is not sufficient length in the cable for you to access the underside of the hob you will have to disconnect the oven cable.
One this is done you will find that there are brackets fixed to the underside of the hob which in turn clip to the underside of the worktop.
Simply release these and you hob will be free to remove.
Its then just a matter of reversing the process to fix your new hob and reconnect the oven.
Sounds more complicated than it really is, and should only take a couple of hours

Sorry joe, when I started my reply nobody had responded,

Sponsored Links
Thankyou very much, that sounds easy enough, I was stressing about having to take the entire kitchen to bits. I can see the four screws on the oven so shall give this a go on sunday, again, thanks to both of you for your help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back