Fitted wardrobes smell and mould - damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have noticed musty smells and slight discolouring of the ceiling in a fitted wardrobe, so am concerned about mould. It is on an external wall so I'm assuming it's because the walls are cold and it's not a well ventilated space.

I have put some moisture absorbers in there which has helped to some extent but isn't addressing the root cause.

Can anyone suggest ways to prevent damp and mould here, or how I could ventilate the cupboards properly?

Sponsored Links
You need to identify and address the cause of the damp on the external wall. Does a gutter leak onto it, is the brick or render damaged, or does the wall not dry out because it is shaded from the sun or North facing?

The cupboard is unlikely to be the cause of the problem but removing it, or introducing a ventilation gap, might be worth trying first.

Blup

Fitted wardrobes on external walls need ventilation and insulation. Sometimes just into room is enough , or you could use a small core drill to vent externally .

Add insulation - that's my answer to everything!
If the walls aren't insulated it's like keeping your clothes in a shed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back