Fitted Wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 alcoves in the bedroom both about 1.5M.

Just checking online and the costs are staggering! £4-5K seems the going rate.

I’m sure these must be more work than I give it credit for as it must be a hugely complex job.

Any hacks, or cheaper options as I just can’t afford that kind of money for this project, I could do a new driveway for the same cost.

Any ideas why this is so expensive? I assume they are just manufacture units which are trimmed to fit….Just cannot get over that price tag to be honest, I was thinking maybe 2.5K for the pair :(

Sponsored Links
i have made many built in wardrobes over the years in a few houses
and when we looked at places like sharps etc - very very expensive (but wood was much cheaper than)
I put a few IKEA wardrobes together too

Some i purchased some simple interior panel doors , boxed in and then wallpapered upto the architrave - shelf , i made 5 like this in 3 houses
Then i used plywood for the others one with a bridging unit , made the doors , and painted
I had sliding doors on one

Now i would probably use MDF

reasonably straight forward - only 1 was in an Alcove - which was very simple to do - compared to the others

have you considered making your self - or are you after a ready made unit
I suspect with ready made - you may have an issue fitting into an alcove which is not SQUARE or parallel walls

quite a few places sell doors, so you could find some doors that you like and then just make a frame to hang the doors
then fit out the interior however you like

Last edited:
I'll echo what @ETAF says about non-square alcoves. If you do order custom sized units do make sure you make them to the minimum dimensions of the space - you can close up gaps in various ways. Alcoves on older houses are almost never square, and may be considerably narrower at the back than the front, just because of the way the plaster was applied.

Sponsored Links
Have seen some 'hacks' with Ikea Pax used as fitted wardrobes.
1000/500mm so depends on your alcoves widths. And depths

So you build a frame/shelves, stick plasterboard on it and then get it all skimmed?

Just a frame , no plasterboard or skim .

But if it doesn’t perfectly fit the size of the doors, how do you cover the excess?

Also how about at the top?

Just MDF and paint? Bit of trim where it meets the ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back