Fitters stepped on roof, now leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Window fitters have stood on the low roof over the front of the house, disturbing several tiles in the process. Whilst no tiles have been cracked or broken, there are a couple of places where several tiles noticably sag and do not fit together snugly anymore. This has let in a small amount of water, which has dripped down an inside wall causing discolouration.

The damage occured early last week, but we have had a lot of rain since - should I be expecting a lot of damage? And what might need fixing?

Sponsored Links
Best to have a word with the window fitters to put it right.

i guess it would be a good time to get some decent underslaters felt fitted then eh?

masona said:
Best to have a word with the window fitters to put it right.
Ideally yes, this is exactly what I'd do. But they've caused this damage whilst repairing some damage they did when they originally installed the new window. I'd rather get them off my property for good and fix this myself in all honesty.

I had a look up close this morning and there doesn't appear to be any serious damage. Just a couple of spots (about 2ft square each) where weight has been put against the tiles and caused something beneath to break or sag. The rest of the roof is absolutely fine - still straight and level with no signs of damage or sagging.

Any ideas what I might need to fix? I'm thinking (hoping!) all I'll need to do is lift the few tiles in the affected areas and then shore them up somehow. But I've absolutely no experience with this sort of thing, so I'm clutching at straws here...

Sponsored Links
Tiles are fitted on wooden battens that keep them straight. If one is broken it will sag. Simply remove the tiles using wedges so you can unhook them and replace the timber battens.

It's not a big job.

Do a Google and you'll find a diagram.

joe

if the weight of the roofers footfall has damaged the roofing battens, then im guessing the lathes are quite thin and the roof quite old. yes it will be easy to repair and invisible, but the roof sounds quite vulnerable to me.

noseall said:
if the weight of the roofers footfall has damaged the roofing battens, then im guessing the lathes are quite thin and the roof quite old. yes it will be easy to repair and invisible, but the roof sounds quite vulnerable to me.

Well, the house is only about 15 years old so I hope not! At least it sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult a job at least (although I've not found any diagrams yet).

Erstwhile said:
noseall said:

Well, the house is only about 15 years old so I hope not! At least it sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult a job at least (although I've not found any diagrams yet).
Must`ve been a knot in the batten, just there :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back