Leaking roof during thunderstorms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed some water dripping through one of the ceiling lights in our 1st floor bathroom during the last thunderstorm. Have been up in the loft & disconnected that specific light fitting, all the rest continue to work. In the loft above there is a grey papery membrane above the joists & beneath the tiles of the pitched roof; the lower layer of this membrane appears to have been badly fitted; it has a slight sag in it which during dry days seems to contain a tiny residue of water. The sheet of membrane in question is not well attached to the higher layers of membrane at one end & during thunderstorms clearly this sag fills up with water & eventually leaks out of one end down through the insulation onto the plaster board beneath.

Its obviously been going on for some time as when you peel back the insulation & sweep away these odd “shreddies” type lumps that also seem to act as insulation throughout you can see the top of the plasterboard is black from the standing water waiting to drip through the ceiling hole into bathroom below. From the bathroom beneath the plasterboard appears fine & shows no discolouration (yet!).

As a temporary solution I have been able to mould a piece of lead flashing as drip tray in the loft to funnel any leaks from the membrane down through the ceiling hole into a bucket, this works well so far but is only needed during heavy rain, light rain does not seem to drip.

The area of the roof above all this is inaccessible from a ladder (or I’m not athletic enough to make the leap!) but I have been able to get a camera up there & can see no visible sign of damage, gaps or missing tiles. I suspect it will need an inspection from scaffolding to find any leak, but I’m not sure what you do about the membrane inside? I’m pretty ok at DIY but suspecting this will have to be an insurance claim.

Any help / advice gratefully received. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The water shouldn't be getting to the membrane in the first place, it could be fixed but may require tiles and battens removing. Only way is to get safe access and have a look. Cameras from the insurance company missed a golf ball sized hole in my parents roof - went up on a ladder and saw it straight away!

Why not share the pics your camera took? And pics of inside the loft, and a pic from outside at ground level?
OP, if you have any doubts about heights or climbing then dont.

Lucky if the insurers cough up.roofers here might identify the issue from pictures... A tacker won't

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses & advice gents.

*Agree, @SpecialK , I'm no roofer but i couldnt believe the membrane was there to repel water as a last line of defence! wasnt expecting any moisture.

* @datarebal , you were quite right, got handed through a variety of teflons at the insurer this morning who basically said its not "an Emergency", you could claim for the damage but if they deem it "gradual deterioration" (why wouldnt they!?) they could reject the paying but still log the claim to jack up my renewal. Class acts!

* good idea, @tell80 , went and got myself a ladder standoff today to get a better view. photos of where it is, what i can see on the roof & some grainy polaroids of inside the loft attached. I have plenty more if you need a different angle!

IMG_3893[1].JPG

IMG_3906[1].JPG

IMG_3903[1].JPG

IMG_3930[1].JPG

IMG_3932[1].JPG

IMG_3934[1].JPG

IMG_3935[1].JPG

i cant see anything wrong with the tiles from the outside; theyre no better or worse than the other sides of the pitch. the only oddity is the bit of material sticking out from under the tiles & sitting on top of the felt for the small flat roof bit between the two pitches. If that is the same membrane (its badly deteriorated now so hard to tell, but in largely the same space & height on the pitch), then i guess heavy rain could be puddling in it & sinking back under the tiles, pooling in the saggy membrane & eventually leaking onto my ceiling?

Thoughts?

If so, surely trimming that bit of membrane on the outside & tacking the sagging membrane up properly insdie so water cant go uphill should solve it? Or are things never that simple!?!

Thanks again for thoughts / advice

I'd check the weathering slate around the SVP. Press gently around where the felt should be bonded. If water comes out then Likley a leak.. Looks iffy .
Also , bottom of the right hand valley looks to short , take a few tiles out and look for water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back