New roof, membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having my slate roof replaced and it's not as painless as I was led to believe. A number of things seem to have been overlooked or botched, the main consequence being it raining into my loft and then into my daughter's bedroom yesterday. That's another story...my query for now is about the effects of a lot of rain falling onto the exposed membrane below. It's now 4 days that my roof has been without tiles, during which time a fair amount of rain has fallen, often heavily.

I understand that the membrane is there to carry water away, but is this true for heavy, persistent rain too? Will its performance/lifespan have been affected by being exposed for so much longer than it should have been?

Sponsored Links
Membranes are designed for such eventualities. If it were the only protection for say a month or so then one could rightly start to feel concerned for the membrane and the protection it provides both currently and in the future but for just a few days no worries.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps to reassure you further:
These pictures show how, a couple of years ago, I left my roof in France the week before Xmas. It was the following May before I returned to complete it, and it was June before I started the slating.
Everything was fine, no leaks, etc.
View media item 37290
View media item 37291

What a lovely house, Herring. I'm dead jealous. Where in France is it?

Some manufacturers quote something like 3 months exposed - due to UV mainly

Others don't and the membrane can be exposed for a long time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back