Fitting 2 earth cables to a lightswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fit a new lightswitch and have read that I need to connect the earth cable to the faceplate first, then to the backplate. However, I can't fit both into the hole in the faceplate. What should I do?

Thanks.

Paul

Attachments

• light switch cables.jpg
    light switch cables.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 206
Sponsored Links
You could straighten the three conductors (already connected) and replace the one from the back box with another single strand (from another piece of cable).

I'm not sure if this is what EFLI means but:

The three earth wires that are together in the green&yellow sleeve - connect them to the earth terminal on the back box together with the single strand g&Y wire that is alreay there.
You are then left with only one conductor, put that on the earth terminal on the switch faceplate.

Job done,

I have done what you said (see photo). The problem I have now is that I can turn the lights on an off, but they don't dim/brighten as they should - is this likely to be because of incorrect wiring (of the brown wires - both are in the socket with the X symbol), or because of a faulty lightswitch (it's new)?

By the way, the instructions say to wire the ground cable to the faceplate first, then the backplate - is there any danger in doing it backplate first, then faceplate?

Attachments

• switch 2.jpg
    switch 2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 200
Sponsored Links
It looks like you have a looped in live, these are the two cables. Do you have a means to test for voltage, such as a two pole voltage indicator.
The switch plate indicates that that the live feed should go to the terminal marked live not load, the load is the cables leaving the switch to the lights.
You also need make sure you have purchased a dimmer capable of dealing with load wattage, do you know the rating of the switch and your total load.
Was the previous switch a dimmer? And do you know if your light have transformers or drivers that are dimmable or if you have dimmable lamps fitted. Not all lamps will dim.

That dimmer might not work with LEDs and might not work with a small load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back