fitting 2 gang, 2 way dimmer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i went to fit a new 2 gang dimmer unit today and think i may of got the wrong one.

Basically it is to replace the one at the bottom of the stairs. The one dimmer controls the lounge light, and the other is a 2 way circuit for the stairs light.

i managed to connect up the lounge light side fine - working ok.

the stairs light is a bit odd. on the back of the new unit there is a 3 terminals - L1, L2, and a wavy line with an arrow through it which is the dimmable output to the lamp.

I connected it up as per the old switch, and can turn the light on and off from the dimmer switch. I can also turn the light off from upstairs but cant then turn it back on untill i press the dimmer switch downstairs.

any ideas as to what might be up? as far as i could see there was a live feed into the switch unit, then a switched live up to the lounge light. that bits ok. then the live feed was linked to the L1 terminal, the black core (switched live) was then connected to L2, and the red core on the same cable connected to L2.

any help much appreciated.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Are there just two twin and earth cables present?

If so, identify the live feed. Connect this to boith commons (wavy line). then connect the switchwire of the lounge to the L1 of the lounge side. Then connect the red black of the other cable to L1 & L2 of the landing switch.

Does this now work?

there are 3 twin and earth cables present. i think all the looping in is done at the switch points.

what i have done is connected the permenant live to L1, then the red wire which feeds the live to the switch at top of stairs into L2, and the black wire into the wavy line terminal.

so do i connect the permenant live into the wavy line terminal, and then the other red wire into either L1 or L2 and the black wire into the terminal left over??

i am not at the house at present as we have not moved in yet and no internet over there!!

cheers

If there are three T&E cables at the switch and it is a 2 gang switch with a two way switch as part of that, I fail to see how you have enough conductors to wire it up, unless the cpc has been used as a live conductor.

Sponsored Links
i think one is the live feed live and neutral, one is the switched feed to the lounge light live and neutral, and the other is the feed to the switch at the top of the landing.

OK. I considered that briefly, but it did not fit with your description of loop in wiring at the switch. No matter.

Yes, that would work. Your live from the feed to the switch goes to both terminals with the wavy line. The switchwire from the lounge goes to L1 of the lounge switch.

The other pair (strappers) go to the L1 and L2 of the landing switch.

You know what to do with the N's & E's.

thansk thats great i will try it tomorrow.

the reason i didnt put the feed to the wavy line was cos on the other side of the switch (the dimmer which controls the lounge light) i connected the feed to L1 and the switched live for the lamp to the wavy line. I just assumed this would be tha same for the stairs light and didnt want to blow the electronics by puttint 230 in where it should be coming out!!!

So to confirm i connect the permenant live feed to the wavy line, and the black and red wires to L1 and L2 repectively?? can i leave the lounge one as it is as its working fine!!

and yeah i know what to do with the earths and neutrals. I am goint to have to change the patress for a deeper one now - more bloody mess!!!

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back