Fitting a Built-in oven around an existing gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed an old built-in single electric plug in oven from an aperture with dims 560W, 580H, the depth of the aperture is 575mm but I have a gas pipe top right that sticks out approx. 105mm from the back wall.

I have been searching for an oven with a cut away back that allows the oven to fit snug and not interfere with the pipe.
The only model I've found is a Bosch, but this is hard wired (and over budget!), so a few questions...
1. Anyone know of any other brands that make ovens with cut away backs?!
2. If I buy an oven with a standard back, how easy/expensive to move the gas pipe?
3. How easy/expensive to have a new oven hardwired, or is this not possible if I've only got an electric socket?

Help please!!
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Q1) No, well I don't!

Q2) Will depend, you will need a gas engineer, to move and cap it off.
could be about £50 but will vary depending on your location, but best wait for one to give you a better answer.

Q3) Again this will depend, as there are number of things to consider.
Length and size of cable, ease of routing of cable, does the consumer unit have RCD protection, do you have a cooker isolation point.

I would check out the circuit the socket is on, you may get lucky and it could be a single socket that was once used as an outlet for a higher rated cooker.
The size of the fuse/breaker that is on the circuit and size of the cable then become important.
But I would also consider using the gas connection and have a dual powered cooker, with electric for oven and gas for hob. Gas is more efficient.

Should be lots of ovens out there with a decent recess, everyone I have fitted had a recess to allow for socket behind or hob gas supply pipe.

Should be lots of ovens out there with a decent recess, everyone I have fitted had a recess to allow for socket behind or hob gas supply pipe.
To be fair there are absolutely loads of ovens that hardly give any room for pipework at all.

To the op I'm in Burton on Monday, if you're close I can move you're pipe work so any oven will fit for 70 notes ;)

Edit, is it just a gas pipe sticking out or one connected to a hob ? £50 for a cap off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for your advice.

Forgot to mention that I have a gas hob and so the gas pipe is in use. This is the first time I will have replaced the appliance since it was fitted 11 years ago.

I know there "should be" some ovens out there that will fit, but after nearly a week of investigating, I'm at the stage where ideally I could do with a oven anorak that can give me a specific brand name so that I can buy one, plug it in, switch it on and eat my own body weight in garlic bread. ;)

Thanks wsts for your offer - I'll continue investigating, and maybe think of moving the pipe as a last option.

Cheers

New world do a decent basic fan oven, trouble is though that you would definitely need to have the gas pipe adjusted as they are quite tight at the back.... You have to be careful with the lower end of the Market as there is some real garbage out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back