Fitting a cooker element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Belling fan assisted electric cooker with a ceramic hob. I need to replace the cooker element. Getting hold of a replacement element is the easy bit, how difficult is it to fit it or do I need an electrician?

Sponsored Links
It's very easy. Just undo enough screws and Robert's yer father's brother.

Thanks for that Softus.

I am going to give it a go, nothing to loose as the oven doesn't work anyway. Will have a go at most things but not very confident with electrics.................. am I going to end up with a perm??? I take it all the electrical connections are through the back of the oven? Is there anything I need to look out for?

depending on your model some you can get to though the oven take the trays out and have a look could be a round element at the back or on the side :cool:

Sponsored Links
Will have a go at most things but not very confident with electrics.................. am I going to end up with a perm?
Not if you isolate the cooker from its supply before touching it, and use a meter to test that it really has been isolated before you touch any wiring.

I take it all the electrical connections are through the back of the oven?
Correct.

Is there anything I need to look out for?
Um, your own flawed memory, if it's like anyone else's. Use either a camera or a notebook to record how each part is connected and/or affixed before you remove it.

Thank you for your reply, will order element tonight and give it a go................. will just turn electric off completely to be on the safe side!!

will just turn electric off completely to be on the safe side!!
That isn't safe enough.

You need to test for the absence of a unsafe voltage. This covers all eventualities, like a faulty main isolator and reversed polarity at the incomer.

We recently had to change our oven element and were a bit daunted being hopeless at diy. I found a website on the internet after doing a brief search with blow by blow instructions (with pictures) of how to do the job. We removed the old element which a local supplier checked to make sure that it was dead before he sold us a replacement. £35.00 job done, and there was I thinking that I was going to get a new oven - or perhaps even a new kitchen!

http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/fan_element_article.html

Just make sure you turn off electricity before you start and have a second person to help. Dont drop a screw down the back of the oven just as you finish :LOL: We did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back