Fitting a fire door in to an existing frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any tools / techniques for fitting an FD30 fire door into an existing door frame without needing to replace the frame? I've considered using something like a dremel / wood chisel to cut this back to fit the extra width of the fire door.

upload_2020-7-7_21-27-6.png

Sponsored Links
Jtbrown, good evening.

It appears that your door is situated within a Georgian / Victorian property??

If so then that door stop will be a [so called] planted door stop, meaning that the door stop that you need to reduce inwidth has bee nailed on to the door frame?

Can I suggest you very, very carefully using a sharp wood chisel very, very gently prize off the door stop, you can then cut to the width you need.

Can I also suggest that you cut the paint between the door stop and the door frame using a new sharp Stanley knife.

I think that your idea of a Dremel could be very difficult to control and get a true straight line which you will find acceptable??

Ken.

Jtbrown, good evening.

It appears that your door is situated within a Georgian / Victorian property??

If so then that door stop will be a [so called] planted door stop, meaning that the door stop that you need to reduce inwidth has bee nailed on to the door frame?

Can I suggest you very, very carefully using a sharp wood chisel very, very gently prize off the door stop, you can then cut to the width you need.

Can I also suggest that you cut the paint between the door stop and the door frame using a new sharp Stanley knife.

I think that your idea of a Dremel could be very difficult to control and get a true straight line which you will find acceptable??

Ken.

Thanks Ken, I'll check that out. It is a Victorian property (built in 1903)

New frame will be a lot easier and comply with regulations.
Fitting a fire door in existing frame will never work unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
Edwardian.

Just, as I recall, John 22/01/1901 I think?? certainly not my original stab at Georgian??

Some really nice Architraves not really suitable for a new frame? Have had that discussion in Georgian properties in Edinburgh on several occasions, happy days??

If needed an Intumescent strip can be retro-fitted to the frame??

I used to have one.

It saddens me to think of original features being destroyed.

How thick are the original doors?

It's quite hard to groove a frame in situ. Easier to groove out the door edge after fitting it. lift-off hinges are a great boon.

We're talking highly skilled joinery here.
To adapt that frame and archives with 20 layers of paint on them, to a new fire door of "similar" size will take some skills and might be impossible.
Most likely the finished product won't comply with regulations.
Is there any particular reason to fit a fire door?
If no, where's the existing door?
It might be a lot easier to restore that instead of trying to match 2 completely different products.

I used to have one.

It saddens me to think of original features being destroyed.

How thick are the original doors?

It's quite hard to groove a frame in situ. Easier to groove out the door edge after fitting it. lift-off hinges are a great boon.

Rise and fall hinges/lift off not permitted on fire doors. See 5th page, 'Additional requirements for hinges intended for use on fire doors.'

https://www.firesafe.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/docs/guide1935.pdf

Rise and fall hinges/lift off not permitted on fire doors. See 5th page, 'Additional requirements for hinges intended for use on fire doors.'

https://www.firesafe.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/docs/guide1935.pdf

You mean like these?

139999.jpg

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...-100x88x3mm-right-hand-satin-zinc-pair-139999

• Enduro Radius Lift Off Thrust Bearing Hinge - 100 x 88 x 3mm - Right Hand - Satin Zinc - Pair
  • Suitable for doors up to 80kg
  • 60 minute fire rating
  • BS EN Grade 11
  • Heavy duty - for high use fire doors in public buildings
  • For interior/exterior use
  • All our fire door hinges are CE marked
  • NOTE: Intumescent pads should be used to ensure adherence to fire regulations
  • 25 year guarantee
Is the organisation quoting from a Building Regulation?

John, obviously the rise and fall I first thought of are the ones that have a curved shoulder which raise the door as you open it.
The link I posted does give information about suitable hinges for fire doors, (class, grade, etc), but on the fifth page down there is a section titled Table 1 Classification Summary which has the following statement;

"It shall not be possible to remove the hinge pin or separate the hinge element of the door assembly without the use of special tools."

yes, I saw that, but what is the source for that statement?

I have lift-offs on all mine and they are very convenient.

Why are you fitting fire doors, is it for a loft conversion? Do you have existing solid timber doors?

We're talking highly skilled joinery here.
To adapt that frame and archives with 20 layers of paint on them, to a new fire door of "similar" size will take some skills and might be impossible.
Most likely the finished product won't comply with regulations.
Is there any particular reason to fit a fire door?
If no, where's the existing door?
It might be a lot easier to restore that instead of trying to match 2 completely different products.

Why are you fitting fire doors, is it for a loft conversion? Do you have existing solid timber doors?

Yeah that’s correct it’s to pass building regs for a loft conversion. Having to install fire doors throughout the house.

I’d like to avoid replacing all of the frames but it might be a more sensible option!

No, trust me it's a lot easier to fit new frames and new doors.
It's a once in a lifetime expense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back