Fitting a fireplace - carbon monoxide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an open fire in the lounge and I am wanting to rip out the brick surround and fit a cast iron insert and timber surround/mantel.

As I've never done this before it's a little daunting and I had though that I read somewhere that you have to make sure that both the insert and surround are sealed accordingly using fire cement (? - where can you buy this from?) or fibreglass rope (again - where is this obtained?).

THe reason for this I believe was to supress the potential escape of carbon monoxide although, as it's a real open fire burning coal and wood (and not gas) is this relevant?

What else do I need to fit the fireplace?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
What else do I need to fit the fireplace?
Use a registered HETAS installer & get a certificate of compliance or submit a Building Notice so that your LABC can issue one; it’s notifyable building work. ;)

It's not a gas appliance - solid fuel and there's no structural works so why would it be necessary to notify LABC?

Thanks.

Hi
THe reason for this I believe was to supress the potential escape of carbon monoxide although, as it's a real open fire burning coal and wood (and not gas) is this relevant? Many thanks.
Solid fuel produces more carbon monoxide than gas.

Sponsored Links
It's not a gas appliance - solid fuel and there's no structural works so why would it be necessary to notify LABC?
It must still comply with Building Regs & there are several of them. It has nothing to do with the fact it’s not gas, burning solid fossil fuel is just as dangerous as has been pointed out. It has nothing to do with structural works either, more to do with preventing you from asphyxiating yourself & the rest of your family. A little bed time reading for you;
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/main_pages/news.htm
There is also a link to specific Building Regulations within the text.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back