Fitting a Fused Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a water heater above a sink in a small recess.

My question is - can I fit a switched fuse spur beside the unit, i.e above or certainly in close proximity to the sink?

I believe IEE Regs require a socket to be no less than 2 metres away from a sink. What about a spur? I'm not keen on having a long flex from the unit to the spur and a pull chord switch is not really an option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The 2 metres is not a rule, it used to be considered good practice as it made it difficult for a user to have the plug in one hand and the tap in the other. 300mm is now considered the minimum distance, and it must be in a position where it is not expected to get splashed.

If you want a distant switch and no dangling flex, you could run the cable under the plaster or in mini-trunking, and have a flex outlet close to the heater, with the FCU (e.g.) by the door.

Thanks JohnD.

The '300mm and out of splashing range' rule sounds good to me and should be manageable without too much hassle. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't breaking any laws.

(personnally I think 300mm is too close, but then I'm old-fashioned)

Sponsored Links
The regulations state that no socket/spurswitch can be within 60 Cm radius fom a wet zone

:oops: I didn't know that. Where did you see it? Is it in the building regs, BS, or an IEE publication? Or should i have seen it in my guide to the 16th Edition?

Oh well. Not to worry, fortunately I was able to get my distance to something like 1 metre. Even 60cm seems quite close, for me.

Thanks for updating this.

JohnD said:
:oops: I didn't know that. Where did you see it? Is it in the building regs, BS, or an IEE publication? Or should i have seen it in my guide to the 16th Edition?

His post subject says IEE regulations? I wasn't aware of this either, only the guidelines in the electricians guide to the building regs which give a recommendation of 300mm from the edge of a kitchen sink to a socket outlet. Afaik the regs say an accessory is required to be suitable for its environment. Special locations have more restrictions re sockets and spurs though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back