Fitting a light over a conduit junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am replacing a light for my brother in a flat, which has been wired in singles in round conduit. Where each ceiling light goes is a plastic junction box. The standard lights simply attach into this via 2 bolts, however the light he has chosen is too narrow to be able to connect like this.

Whats the best way to work around this? I thought of getting a lid for the box and attaching the light to this, but I don't think the lid will be strong enough to support the weight of the fitting.

Is there something else I can use, other than having to cut a piece of wood to cover the whole, paint it and make a hole for the cables to come through?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Having a big plug in lump on the ceiling with a flex running to the actual light fitting may be tolerated in an industrial/commercial environment but I doubt many people would want it in their home.

I find it pretty unlikely though that a conduit box lid wouldn't be strong enough to support a light fitting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back