Fitting a mirror when tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've purchased a matching mirror to go with the vanity unit I have bought.

It is this one: https://victoriaplum.com/product/sienna-oak-410-mirror-with-lights-special-offer-ppack1507

I asked on here before about whether I should fit before tiling and tile around it, or tile first and then fit. I got a bit of a 50/50 answer but was swayed towards fitting first.

Anyway, I've started tiling now at the other end of the bathroom so I got the mirror out to look at the fittings and it doesn't have any. Any ideas on how I'm supposed to fit it and will this change the option on fitting first or tiling first?

The mirror goes right up to the edges and has no holes for screws. The mirror is backed onto conti-board style stuff. The top and bottom shelf are held in place with the sort of fixings you get on flat pack furniture.

Do I just cover the back with tile adhesive and stick in place or use some right angle brackets which would then go behind the tiles?

Sponsored Links
I would steer away from tiling around it, simply because if you ever decide to change it, it could come problematic finding one that fits the recess left by this mirror.
I would also avoid sticking to the walls.
I would suggest asking the manufacturer/supplier what their recommendation are, if not in the MI (instructions) that should have been issued with the item.

Failing a reasonable of any reply from the manufactures/suppliers.
I would measure up for angle bracket below and above the mirror, then fix them so the wall fixing of brackets are hidden behind the mirror and the mirror sits between them (top/bottom) and then secure by screwing bracket to top and underside. PS use stainless steel brackets and screws.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...F-8#q=stainless+steel+angle+brackets&tbm=shop

Thanks,

I contacted the supplier and they said it uses hooks to mount it but doesn't come with any. On the rear there are two holes which I had dismissed when looking at it as they didn't look adequate (then promptly forgot about!). These holes are basically a round hole with a piece of plastic stapled over the top half. According to them I need to buy a couple of suitable mounting hooks to sit it on. I don't think I'd be happy with that though as a solution as it would swing forwards if you pulled the shelf at the bottom.

I can see your point regarding changing the mirror in the future but I'm happy to address that if it is an issue at the time. I still think I'd prefer to mount it to the wall as the conti-board it is mounted on is quite thick so by the time I have the tile thickness then the mirror - I think it will look odd. However to mount it to the wall means a lot more tile cutting :(

Was there any reason you said you wouldn't stick it on with adhesive?

I like your stainless brackets idea my only concern is that the one/two at the bottom would be visible for the kids.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back