How to cut a channel in an already fitted porcelain tile

If you have a dremel or similar to remove the grout, I would say its a no brainer to remove and replace tiles if you have some spare

Sponsored Links
It would make more sense to me if the mirror had been designed to have a "void" across the whole of the back, rather than just to one side. Then it wouldn't matter where the cable was run. So, I had assumed there was a reason why the mirror was designed this way, possibly due to the demister pad that sits behind the mirror.
There's no standard for mirror manufacturing, so the hole for the wire can be anywhere.
However, all mirrors with light have a back metal or plastic case holding all the necessary wiring and the demister pad is attached to the mirror, not the case.
You need to mark on this case where your wire is and drill a hole to pass the wire through.
As said, I have done it lots of times and it's what everyone does.
Warranty cannot be void for a hole.
If demister goes wrong for example, how could that be related to a neat hole in the case???

Watch from 00:35 of this video

That wire is in the correct place, but if it wasn't you would drill a hole in the back case and pass it through.
Hope it's clear now.

The back of my led mirror only contacted the wall around the perimeter and where the fixing hole are leaving a void for the cable .

Sponsored Links
The mirror arrived today.

Turned it over to checkout the back and it looked nothing like the technical drawings provided on the Illuminated Mirrors website! There is a large void behind the mirror with a long exposed cable. So, no issue in installing it with the current position of the wall cable - all that worry for nothing.

I also noticed the simple installation instructions that came with it are completely redundant as they don't match the way in which it needs to be installed! Unlike the video posted by johnny (thanks for that) this mirror doesn't have a back box that needs to be removed and that fits against the wall. Instead there is a frame, permanently fixed around the edge of the mirror, which houses all the electronics, and this sits against the wall. The only tricky bit is that the 4 screws need to be placed in exactly the right position so that the mirror frame hooks onto them. Not always easy when drilling holes in porcelain tiles.

It was hit and miss whether we actually purchased this mirror due to the potential difficulty in connecting it up, but I'm now pleased we did as it is a good quality item. Can't wait to get it installed, especially as I've just purchased a Rubi multi drill tile guide, which should make it easier to drill the holes through the porcelain tiles more precisely.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back