Fitting a new bath with existing tiles...advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm going to be replacing my bath shortly with one which is a different height. This will probably mean the edge of the bath will go above the existing tile line. Am I okay with sealing the bath's edge on to a tile rather than below it?

Cheers
Daz

Sponsored Links
simple answer is yes mate, consider someone who has stripped their bathroom out and fully tiled the walls, THEN fitted the bath ;) Can your bath feet not be lowered to adjust the bath to fit to your tiles, most baths are adjustable

I'll be able to lower the new bath yes but the problem is the height of the bath panels.

I'll be able to lower the new bath yes but the problem is the height of the bath panels.

bath panels can be trimmed if need be, but failing that, fix your bath to the floor and wall, fill with water and seal with silicon, leave water in a few hours or overnight if possible to let silicone fully cure, let water out, watch bath rise slightly and give a better seal

Sponsored Links
Sorry. Thanks for the reply. I was told that you shouldn't seal on a tile because of the grout. It can form a weak channel and then start leaking. Is that right?

Sorry. Thanks for the reply. I was told that you shouldn't seal on a tile because of the grout. It can form a weak channel and then start leaking. Is that right?

If it were me, I would line your bath up and loosely fit to the wall, pump some silicon between the tiles and the bath, then fasten bath tightly to wall and floor , now fill bath with water, silicone around the bath and leave for a few hours or better still, overnight if possible, then let the water out, and the bath will slightly rise but will have a water tight seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back