fitting a new bathroom in my attic room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone;

I lived in a three floors + attic house, I am going to install a bathroom on the attic room which is used now as a storage room.

I know that I have to follow the building regulations,

Can an electrician and a register plumber do the job and then send the certificates to the building regulations or do I need to ask permissions first?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
david3331
what you do is apply to building controls for the work to be done, pay the fee.
They will tell you if your okay to start job and then they will inspect work along the way to assure it complies to relevant requirements and they will do the paperwork and sign it off.
Your plumber and sparks don't need to do this even if they are on a scheme provider. It's only needed if building controls are not involved. So you need to notify building controls.

You may or may not need building reg's. Not ALL electrical work needs to be certificated only new circuitry. If existing cables are in then modifying them does not require reg's.

Also, if existing drainage is in place then building control may not need to get involved, i.e. if a stack pipe already exists.

You will however need to ensure the room is fit as habitable space, i.e. insulation and ventilation. This alone would require a building reg's application.

Apply for a building notice and pay the required fee.

I think you'll find the only time certs are not given out, is when accessories or equipment is replaced like for like.
Even if a socket or light was added to circuit a minor works cert would be needed. This will be a bathroom so it is in special location, so it is notifable even to extend lighting circuit, which will now have to be correctly IP'd and in correct zones,
if an electric shower is installed agian notifiable.
Unless competenet persons scheme tradesmen are used.

Sponsored Links
I think your being over confident.

What makes you think an original loft void converted to a simple store via loft boarding will support the weight of a bath etc..

Seek some builder advice on the structural requirements or wait for the bath to fall through to the level below :oops:

The compliance or otherwise or otherwise of the loft conversion itself; even if a suitable stack/drain exists, connecting a new w/c is notifyable work; if you form a new room with a w/c, it’s notifyable work & any stud walls between it & another habitable room must be sound insulated & the room must have forced ventilation; if you install a bath or shower, the room becomes a special location & any electrical work in there is notifyable or must be completed/tested by a Part P registered electrician.

I would be extremely surprised if LABC did not want to inspect sucha project, even if it was restricted to a single completion inspection & registering the existence of a Minor Electrical Work’s Certificate for the electrics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back