Fitting a new hob and oven - measuring panic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can advise me.

I moved into my current place some time ago. It has a separate hob and oven, the hob set into the counter, the oven is floor standing but built under the counter beneath the hob. The hob has never worked so I am having to arrange a gas engineer to come and disconnect it safely but now the oven has keeled over and I'm not sure what to do next. I don't seem able to find anyone who is prepared to cut the kitchen counter so that I can simply purchase one unit with hob and oven so I'm having to purchase two separate items. How do I measure to make sure the new items will fit? Currently the hob is fixed and I can only measure the item itself with no idea of the aperture size underneath. The oven appears a fairly standard item but is also firmly built in with a 'skirting board' for what of a better word, across the foot. I've no idea if it's standing on any feet or what I'll find inside the cavity once the oven is out.

Obviously I need to ensure that the new appliances will fit but I'm completely stuck

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
it's probably a "built-under" oven which is mounted inside a kitchen unit 600mm wide.

Hobs are often made to fit over a 600mm unit, though some are wider - you will see from the size of yours.

the "skirting board" is called a plinth. The are usually strips of laminated chipboard with a decorative surface, about 150mm high, fastened to the legs of the kitchen unit(s) with spring clips. If you pull hard, or lever off, it will pop off.

In your position I would strongly consider a straightforward 600mm wide free-standing cooker, which will slide into place. You will need to remove the old unit and cut a 600mm-plus gap in the worktop. If you like a gas hob, you can get a dual-fuel cooker with gas hob and electric oven

It's possible a handyman could remove the unit, or an electrician or gasman who is willing to use a saw.

s-l225.jpg
oven unit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KITCHEN-...871684?hash=item4b2cb90b04:g:f6IAAOSwQQ5Zu9OZ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...Xplinth+clips.TRS0&_nkw=plinth+clips&_sacat=0

IMPORTANT
I see you have a gas hob. It needs a gas-safe engineer to remove it and either cap it off safely or install the new one. Unlike gas cookers, fixed hobs are connected with rigid copper gas-pipe, you can't undo a plug connector. There's a fair chance a local independent gas fitter will do it and will be familiar with removing and fitting cookers.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It's very very simple, firstly the oven is not free standing, Im assumig it's electric nine times out of ten they are.

Drop the oven door you should then see two or four screws in the rebate for the oven door, these are screwed into the side panels. Unscrew them.
You should then be able to just slide the oven out .....take care the electric cable may be plugged in at the back of the oven, if it is ..... turn it off and unplug it.

That's it the ovens out ! Most gas hobs are very similar in size, once the ovens out you can measure the aperture ( cut out for the hob) from underneath.

Stick with a seperate oven and hob trying to fit a 60cm cooker in a fitted kitchen will ruin it. Ask the retailer when you get the hob if they can fit it or recommend someone. It's nothing of a job and nothing to stress over

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back