Fitting a new toilet...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to fit a new loo in our bathroom but an not sure if I need to be careful about which type of loo I pick as the old one has not been fixed to the wall and is up on a block of wood, presumably as the waste pipe is quite high? It looks rubbish!

This is the first time I have tried to fit a loo and want to make it as easy as possible for myself, any tips gratefully recieved!

Here's the old one!

Sponsored Links
The waste entry to the stack is too high & is also likely to be so for the new toilet. Since poo won’t flow uphill, you will either have to retain the wooden blocks of wood (which is unsightly, unhealthy & just a total bodge) or make a new connection into the stack which would also involve a new hole in the wall & filling in the old one.

It's not difficult or a great deal of work but admit it could be duanting for the inexperienced.

Thats a total bodge.

My advice is use a flexible waste fitting.

Have you considered turning the toilet around?

My advice is use a flexible waste fitting.

You can't use a flexible pan connector, poo won’t flow uphill very well, the flexible connector will be permanently full of waste (not good) & you will raise the pan water level to the point where your asre could well be dipping into it when you sit on the pan & even if it doesn't, splashback is going could be a serious problem ; think about it! ;)

Sponsored Links
I had considered a flexible connector to get the loo flush (excuse pun) to the wall, but Richard C is right the waste pipe is quite high up where it comes through wall and we could get backed up.

If I was to move the pipe down what do I use to connect it to the stack? I can get at the other side of the soil pipe too as it comes out from the bathroom and goes down through the cellar so accessing it isn't a problem atleast... Could you give me a few more details on how to do this please?

Otherwise sounds like I'll have to build a proper step right across and tile it - look better than the block of wood anyway!

If you’ve got easy access to the outside stack it should be quiet straight forward. You will need a new pan connector (type depends on your new loo), a short length of soil pipe & a swept tee; it's unlikely you'll get the old one of if it's been fitted any lenght of time. I’m assuming you have a plastic stack, if not you will need a special adaptor depending what it is + additional length of plastic soil pipe to replace the upper section of the stack.

Remove toilet & from the outside cut off the pipe that connects to the stack & remove it. Position your new toilet, mark the location & make a new hole through the wall in the appropriate place making allowance for any new tiles/floor covering; you need to position the hole so that the soil pipe has a slight fall from the pan connector into the stack; reposition toilet with pan connector & a piece of soil pipe through the wall.

From the outside; you may or may not be able to remove the upper portion of the stack, do this if you can. Offer up the swept tee in line with the pipe that exits the wall from the loo & mark the stack where you will need to cut it; be care full if you’ve not been able to remove the top section as it will be top heavy & if it's cast iron, very heavy; don’t fall off the ladder! After you’ve cut the stack, remove any clamps holding the top section of the stack in place & remove the stack. Fit the new tee to the top of the stack (where you cut it) & the soil pipe that goes through the wall & refit the upper portion of the stack & support with the original clamps. You may be able to use the original pipe after cutting off the old tee but it will be slightly lower, if it's near any windows you may need to extend it to comply with minimum distances required by B. Regs.

. I’m assuming you have a plastic stack, if not you will need a special adaptor depending what it is + additional length of plastic soil pipe to replace the upper section of the stack.

Looks like iron to me :idea:

Thanks I'll investigate in the cellar tomorrow and decide on whether to have a go at the stackor the step!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back