fitting a new toliet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fitted a low level toilet today and it seems to be leaking underneath but cant see where and the screws that holds the cistern to the pan the right hand side seems to be leaking very slightly i keep on tightening it and it just seems to carry on leaking any help greatly recived :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Is this cistern that type that has screws that go right through the ceramic base, or coach bolts that hook onto a galvanised plate under the cistern?

If the former then these often come with conical washers and make a good seal with using silicone.

If in doubt then use silicone sealant to fill the gap (from underneath) around the bolt where is passes through the base, before adding the washer and nut.

Could be the syphon nut not tightened enough and the leak is favouring one side. I'd remove the cistern to see what's happening.

Sponsored Links
ukstyx99 said:
The screw that holds the cistern to the pan the right hand side seems to be leaking very slightly

I solved this by changing the steel washer under the wing nut for a larger one. The larger area of the washer enabled the cone to be tightened up more and done the trick. :D

Whilst things do need to be done up tight[ly], it's the sign of a poor seal if tightening after the event stops a leak.

Softus said:
Whilst things do need to be done up tight[ly], it's the sign of a poor seal if tightening after the event stops a leak.

Maybe it wasn't tightened up enough in the first place ;)

When bolts go through the cistern they are intended to be tightened and leak-free before lowering the cistern onto the pan. The second pair of nuts/wingnuts is there only to steady the cistern and compress it onto the doughnut washer. If you rely on the second set, then in the course of time it will leak as the doughnut loses its restitutive ability and compresses even further, thus allowing the bolts to become loose again..

So, you can mask the problem temporarily by tightening the bottom nuts, but it is no cure.

In my case the leak was coming from the hole that the wing nut fits into and not from the donut washer. My cure did fix it.

Think OP needs to say where exactly the leak is coming from. If donut area try Softus's cure, and if wing nut, try mine.

Good luck :D

Bahco said:
In my case the leak was coming from the hole that the wing nut fits into and not from the donut washer. My cure did fix it.
That's exactly the leak that I was talking about, but did you have a c/c adaptor plate, or did the bolts go through the cistern just like the OPs seem to (although we're awaiting confirmation on that)?

all sorted put some sealent around the fitting and had to wait 18 hours for it to go off but it doen the trick.

the only problem now is the water has run onto the kitchen ceiling causing it to bulge and crack badly.

but i wanted to change that anyways just have to check the joists for damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back