Fitting a new wood burner, flue question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a wood/multi stove in the lounge, it will be on an outside wall (end of terrace) nearest house is 25ft away.

I have looked at the price of the flues ( 6 inch ) and are quite expensive.

I can get 6 inch 1.5mm thick stainless steel pipe from work very cheaply and what I want to know, does a flue have to be insulated? it will be coming out the back of the stove, through the wall then with a bend and will go straight up the outside wall.

Is the insulation soley so no one can touch it and burn themselves or is it for condensation?

any help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
snowwolf said:
I am fitting a wood/multi stove in the lounge, it will be on an outside wall (end of terrace) nearest house is 25ft away.

Oh dear.

I have looked at the price of the flues ( 6 inch ) and are quite expensive.

Oh dear, oh dear.

I can get 6 inch 1.5mm thick stainless steel pipe from work very cheaply and what I want to know, does a flue have to be insulated? it will be coming out the back of the stove, through the wall then with a bend and will go straight up the outside wall.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

Is the insulation soley so no one can touch it and burn themselves or is it for condensation?

any help will be appreciated

It's for condension. Having a flue going up the outside of a building is the worst position you could pick. The type of stainless is important as it has to put up with pyrolosis chemicals, but you will probably know about that. The flue is a controlled service now, so you are supposed to tell building control, though few do.

[quote="oilman"
The type of stainless is important as it has to put up with pyrolosis chemicals, but you will probably know about that. quote]

The stuff of life :cool:

jupiter.jpg

I am a bit stuck, because the house has no chimney :( and the only wall I can have it on is the gable end of the property.

The stainless is 316 I could easily lag the pipe, not really to much problem, just wondered why some of the pipe is insulated and some not, you can buy the isulated flue and you can also buy "stove pipe" which is single wall and black, what is the stove pipe for?

Also how far does the pipe need to go? it will be going up the wall half way from the edge of the house and the centre of the ridge tile, so lets say it will be halfway from the gutter and the ridge tile, does it have to be a certain height above the gutter or the ridge tile or a combination of the two.

Sponsored Links
You really need to do a search for building regs and flue terminations in google. Alright I could go and search for you and tell you where it is, but anyone can do it with a little effort. This is not directed at you, but to let the moronic trolls who will start carping at my lack of help, know that I got there first.

It would be better to have the flue terminate well above the ridge, and preferably more than 600mm. There are many instances of problems with stoves, and most of them are caused by flues not working properly. In still conditions there is no problem, but when the wind blows, pressure changes can mean there is much less draw up the flue so the stove fails to work properly. If the flue is clear of the ridge it is usually out of the way of turbulence from the roof.

Here is some more chimney and flue information.

Cheers Oilman :) the info in that attachment is really really handy, thanks a lot, suprised at all that needs to be done to make it all work....thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back