Wood Stove - Connect 5 inch flue to 7 inch flexible liner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I searched and read the forums but drew a blank to my question.

I have a 7 inch flexible flue liner in the home I bought. I have a wood stove with a 5 inch flue. There are adapters available from suppliers but...

Question is this; are there any issues with exhausting the stove from a 5 inch to a 7 inch? The cross sectional area is almost a twofold increase. Are there likely problems with gases stalling as a consequence of the flow velocity reducing? In my installation the flue would not have ANY elbows or bends, just straight up and out. I note that 5 inch to 6 inch is regularly done.

Any thoughts please?

Sponsored Links
Your biggest problem is a regulatory one - it's not permitted to reuse an existing liner for a new stove installation. The liner must be replaced when a new stove is fitted. Failure to do this could invalidate your home insurance in the event of a fire

Your biggest problem is a regulatory one - it's not permitted to reuse an existing liner for a new stove installation. The liner must be replaced when a new stove is fitted. Failure to do this could invalidate your home insurance in the event of a fire

I would love to see the clause that supports this belief. And the one that says suicides ALWAYS lose their insurance payout

I would love to see the clause that supports this belief.

There are plenty of get out clauses for insurers. Here is one from a More Than policy - Your family must take all reasonable steps to avoid any accident and to prevent loss or damage to everything which is covered by this insurance and to keep all the property insured in good condition and in good repair, if you do not a claim may be rejected or payment could be reduced.

One from Axa - If following a claim we identify that you have not maintained your property in a good state of repair and you refuse to improve and maintain the state of your property to avoid future loss or damage, it could mean your policy will be cancelled by us providing 21 days written notice to your current address or it may result in any relevant claims being reduced or refused.

Insurers will also pursue anyone who may be liable for causing the loss/damage, which includes companies and the self employed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the insurance commentary but it is the technical matter that I am interested in. The unused NEW fitted flue is there and the unused NEW stove is available. Is there a technical issue that anyone can bring to the discussion please?

You should not re-use an existing flue liner.What do the MI say ?

There is a risk that the pocs could stall, it would depend on the location and run of the flue.. however a 7 inch flue gives a good run for dropping a 6inch liner down the middle.. making life easy for you and complying with the stove manufacturers requirements.. happy days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back