Fitting a replacement basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

Fitting a replacement wash basin; annoyingly, it is a few mm smaller that the one I have removed so will require some silicone 'remodelling' to fill the gaps. But that is a different issue.
Am using the original pop-up waste fitting as the visible part inside the basin is in good condition.
However, the squidgy washer/sealer is not the same profile as the basin is 'slightly' different from the original.
First question; what is this (red arrow) washer / sealer / gasket/ actually called and can one usually buy a replacement?
Second question, in searching Dr Google for an answer to the above, I found one site that suggests using silicone on the green arrowed areas. None of my basins have silicone in these areas; is this something that I should do?

Thanks
  • 20230210_181502 (Medium).jpg

Sponsored Links
Just a basin waste sealing washer, personally wouldn’t use silicone, and would opt for plumbers mait before using silicone. Perhaps this might get you out of trouble?

Thanks for the rapid response. Can a basin waste sealing washer be bought separately? What a about Plumbers Mate around the edge of the top flange?

Thanks for the link; that seems to be the way to go. Had to fit a whole new waste on another basin where the flanged top was tarnishing; what a palaver fitting the lower washer to stop leaks. That waste seal kit would have made life soooo much easier, but as it is now not leaking, I will leave alone.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the rapid response. Can a basin waste sealing washer be bought separately? What a about Plumbers Mate around the edge of the top flange?
Yes sealing washers can be bought separately. Plumbers mait can be used if you wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back