Fitting a replacement electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondering whether anyone can help. My electric shower is playing up so I have bought a cheap Triton one from a DIY store. Without having the knowledge to fit myself, I have a friend of a friend who will fit it for me. Problem is, I don't know whether they need any special qualifications/certification to do this. He works for a property maintenance company, says he has fitted loads and will be much cheaper than getting an electrician to do it but am I/or he doing anything illegal. I know there are certified electricians and electrical regulations but do they apply here? He had a look and said all the existing wiring is there and just needs to swap it over - is it that simple???

Sponsored Links
The fact that you have asked this question suggests you have doubts about this friend of a friend. Get a qualified electrician to do it for you. Depends on what price you put on safety at the end of the day.

It sounds like you're proposing to hire a cowboy. Doing so is a risk. Maybe he's competent, maybe he's not. That's why we have competent persons schemes.

As far as i'm aware a like for like swap doesn't need to be notified, but he'd still need to issue you with a minor works certificate which involves running tests on the circuit that a cowboy may not have the equipment to do.

Anyway, it may not actually be a like for like swap - does it have the same power rating? Is the existing cable big enough and do you have RCD protection?

You're going to get into this thing under running water with enough current to kill you within a foot of your face. Is it worth saving a hundred quid?

I can't say I have doubts about his ability, it's the regulations I know nothing about? I'm guessing that you would have said an electric shower HAS to be fitted by a qualified electrician if that was the case, rather than elude to the fact that it could kill me if I don't use one?

I appreciate your response, suppose better to be safe than sorry.

Should I get any certification with this?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sherlock, sort of really hits home when you put it like that....

They are both 8.5kw, there is a seperate isolating switch outside the bathroom but I couldn't tell you about the cabling.

I think you've answered my queries though - Google search here I come. What sort of qualification/registration/competence should I be looking for?

Thanks Guys.

Anyone qualified to certify their own work is on a competent persons scheme, there's a few of them, just check it's not a fictional one/has heard of the guy and get a couple of quotes before hiring someone.

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

May well turn out to be a straight swap that your friend's friend could have accomplished with ease, but it's better to have someone you know will perform the appropriate safety checks, especially when it comes to an electric shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back