Fitting a Security/PIR light, which route is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just wondering on which way you prefer to fit security lights as have been having discussions and constantly disagree with my Colleague.
My way is to run the light straight from the lighting circuit with some 1mm 3 core cable, through the wall and into the Security Light. the light MCB can be the switch to turn on and off if needing to change bulb etc. This way no other switches / FCU's etc. (and yes the MCB will be correctly rated for lights and new security light)
His way, run a FCU from the nearest ring main, then again through the wall into the security light. His reasoning would be that you have an isolated fuse specifically for the Security light and thereofre no need to disturb other circuits.
I still think it is more expense and hassle to fit a FCU, use some 2.5 twin and earth, then 1mm 3 core cable and then the light where my way does the same job, you wouldnt be repairing the light at night time so therefore dont need the light circuit on anyhow :LOL:
we have a £10 bet on who has the higher number of agreements so please favour me :LOL:
Oh, and just to post, we both disagree with another "electrician" we know who says just drill through/near the window frame and attach a plug to the nearest socket :mad:. he is 57 though so is from the cowboy school, still hes good for his crack :p

Sponsored Links
I have fitted security lights in each of the ways you mention, it just depends on what is the best method for the job. If fed from the general lighting circuit (existing load taken into account) i usually provide a double pole switch somewhere to isolate the light should water get into it or if some other fault occurs, that way the house lights can continue to function. i've spurred of a socket using an FCU and i've even wired back to a plug (with flex) and just plugged it in, not my preferred way and only done where i cant spur from the nearest socket due to it already being a spur but still quite safe.

In simple words there is no right or wrong way as long as its installed to the regs.

All the best
Dan

thanks for the reply dannyboi, wish you had rounded it off with
"but I think the light circuit is the best way" :LOL:
only thing I would differ from you is for the fact of putting in your double pole switch, I know it makes isolation easier but its that chasing the wall and replastering that takes a little extra time and mess, hence me just using the MCB :)

Anybody else fancy assisting me in winning a tenner, its all in the name of fun :LOL:

Sponsored Links
needs a switch to allow for the overide mode..

PITA to go turn the breaker off and on again fast to overide for a party etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back