Fitting a shower enclosure RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can help. I want to fit a RCD to the shower radial currently running from a Wylex rewireable fuse at 40A.

I have a shower enclosure fusebox which has a 40 A MCB with a 30ma RCD on the side of it. What is the best way to bring the feed into this box.

Can I just bring 10mm2 out of the existing CU box from the current rewireable fuse to the new box, but that gives me two fuses in the one line, does not seem correct. Or can you get a link through for the main CU fuse and use the new shower enclosure's MCB only, shounds more sensible.

Can anyone tell me what the best practise is?.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Henly block and separate tails can be an option, but depending on the current rating of the RCD and size of the enclosure you have etc, you may be restricted for room. Many of the enclosures I have seen do not have the neutral or earth bars in place.
Hope this is of some help.

Ed

Henley block (or new consumer unit) are the only options. Old rewireable fuse Wylexes have max current loading of 30A per way and 60A total for the board.

Its written on the front "Maximum load 60A" or something meaningful like that!

Thanks for the reply.

The enclosure is just big enough to accomodate the MCD and RCD so there is not a great deal of room. There is no Neutral bar but there is an earth rail as you would expect.

Do you normally use Henly blocks on the tails post meter - pre CU?. There is no electric company isolator which make this a pain without taking the supply fuse out.

Is it not good practice to come of the existing wired fuse and put the new MCB in-line with it?.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back